Huddersfield Town AFC endorses the principles of promoting equality and celebrating diversity, and will strive to ensure that everyone who is involved in the Club whether as a player, match-day fan, member of staff, member of the Board, a participant in outreach programmes, or in any other capacity:
– Has a genuine and equal opportunity to participate to the full extent of their own ambitions and abilities, without regard to any protected characteristic as defined in the Equality Act 2010 – age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status (including same sex marriage), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, sex or sexual orientation; and,
– Can be assured of an environment in which their rights, dignity and individual worth are respected, and in particular that they are able to enjoy their engagement at the Club without the threat of discrimination, intimidation, victimisation, harassment, bullying and abuse.
Huddersfield Town AFC has a zero-tolerance policy towards discrimination, intimidation, victimisation, harassment, bullying and abuse, and we are committed to ensuring that any such allegations are reported and addressed in accordance with the Club’s procedures. This policy reflects our commitment to meeting the requirements of the Premier League Equality Standards and the Equality Act 2010.
The Club fulfils the statutory requirements of the Equality Act 2010 in relation to different protected characteristics. We work hard to ensure that our staff and supporters demonstrate expected standards of behaviour, which are based on the principle of respect for others, and which relate to our zero-tolerance approach to all forms of inappropriate and/or illegal conduct.
Racial, homophobic/transphobic, sexist, ageist or other discriminatory language or behaviour is strictly forbidden and any match-day fan who conducts themselves in a manner that contravenes expected standards of behaviour will be subject to arrest and/or ejection from the Ground.
The Club reserves the right to impose any other sanctions as appropriate/necessary in relation to the conduct of match-day fans, which may include a ban for one or more matches.
Any employee of Huddersfield Town AFC found to be in breach of acceptable standards of conduct in relation to non-discriminatory practice and/or use of language will be subject to the Club’s disciplinary procedures and action will be taken as appropriate following investigation and in accordance with those procedures.
As well as complying with legislation, Huddersfield Town AFC will promote equality by taking positive steps to counteract the effects of physical or cultural barriers, whether real or perceived, that restrict the opportunity for all sections of the community to participate equally and fully.
Huddersfield Town AFC will therefore seek to institute, support or contribute to appropriate measures or initiatives that enable access to our club, as well as require participation in associated activities by people from any group that is under-represented in the Club or has difficulty accessing it.
The following steps will be taken to publicise this policy and promote equality and celebrate diversity within Huddersfield Town AFC:
– A copy of this document will be accessible from the Club Charter, within the Club’s website.
– Huddersfield Town AFC’s Board will take overall accountability for ensuring that the policy is observed by all.
– The Board will take full account of the policy in arriving at all decisions in relation to activities of Huddersfield Town AFC, so as not to discriminate against and/or exclude any individual or group.
– Huddersfield Town AFC will implement regular audits, surveys and/or other initiatives designed to assess the level of participation of different sections of the community in the Club and will take account of the findings in developing measures to promote and enhance equality, and celebrate diversity, in the Club.
– Huddersfield Town AFC will provide access to a rolling programme of training (for example, online, face-to-face, briefings) for all of its players, match-day fans, staff, Board members, participants in outreach programmes and other people engaged with the club’s activities to raise awareness of both collective and individual responsibilities in relation to complying with the Equality Act 2010 and eliminating all forms of discrimination and other form of unacceptable conduct.
It will be a condition of working with Huddersfield Town AFC that suppliers/contractors:
– Commit to act in accordance with this policy; and,
– Support such measures and initiatives that Huddersfield Town AFC may institute or take part in to advance the aims of this policy.
To ensure compliance with this policy Huddersfield Town AFC will ensure that in the development of partnership and/or service level agreements with suppliers or other external partners, equality and diversity considerations are incorporated into the terms of engagement.
The parties in question will be notified of the outcome of the investigation, in writing, and reported to Huddersfield Town AFC’s Board. If the investigation reveals unacceptable, discriminatory behaviour on the part of a person or organisation Huddersfield Town AFC may impose sanctions on that person or organisation in line with its policies. Sanctions may range from a verbal reprimand, a written notice concerning future conduct, and/or temporary or permanent exclusion from Huddersfield Town AFC’s grounds and associated activities. In deciding what sanction is appropriate in a particular case the Board will consider the severity of the matter and take into account any mitigating circumstances.
Where the violation of the Equality Policy by way of harassment, victimisation or discrimination amounts to a criminal offence, the appropriate authority will be informed.
In the event that an individual or organisation associated with Huddersfield Town AFC is subject to allegations of unlawful discrimination in a court or tribunal, the Club’s Board will cooperate fully with any investigation carried out by the relevant lawful authorities and, subject to the outcome, may consider taking action as above in relation to the matter concerned.
Adopted by Huddersfield Town AFC Board.